Saturday, December 3, 2011

A few more shots of the flicker who has been coming
to my suet feeder. When it was finished with the suet
it began eating snow I assume for the moisture this
despite the fact there was a heated birdbath next to the
feeders. Then it rooted through the leaf litter, I suspect
it was looking for bugs.The number of magpies increased
and the flicker left. I did not get a good photo but I noticed
one magpie having found some shelled peanuts did not
gulp them down like a jay but held them against the ground
with it's feet and broke them like a small bird with sunflower
seeds.





"The trees, along their bare limbs,
contemplate green.
A flicker, rising, flashes rust and white
before vanishing into stillness,
and raked leaves crumble imperceptibly
to dirt."

                   Winter into Spring
                            Lynn Ungar
  

2 comments:

Kathie Brown said...

Love the flicker shots! Amazing!

Guy said...

Hi Kathie

I do find the flicker fun to watch.

Guy