Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas has come and gone and we had a lovely
time. We had wonderful meals, went to a beautiful light show,
spent time with family and played with dogs. We visited the farm and
dropped by the cabin we built this summer to check
on things. We also received some lovely gifts and I will be
mentioning one in a later post.

I have a mental list of birds I would love to see it included
wild Turkey's, Bobolinks, Prairie Chicken and Snow Buntings.
I have glimpsed flocks of Snow Buntings while travelling
across the prairies in the winter but they never landed. So you
can imagine my delight when I looked out the kitchen
window of the farm and saw a flock of small white
birds in the stubble field in front of the house.
While the photos are not great I am posting them anyway.

Yippeee!!!!






" i)  I watched them from the road

At first
they didn't move
and when they didn't move
you couldn't see them

They were earth and snow

The birds were in a fallow field
and it was earth
and snow
and so you couldn't see them

...,

vi) They drift across the barren  days

like grain in birch
in bird's-eye maple...seeds

like feathered seeds they drift along
blown by the wind

blown by the wind above the grass and stone

viii)

You must lie down in the dark
in the naked fields
You must think of the birds

and make them as you will"

                       Snow Bunting
                           D. J. Jones

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me.
I am sure your new year will be exciting, too.

Kathie Brown said...

Oh, I love the birds and the poem and Congratulations! I am so happy for you!

Happy New Year and a belated Merry Christmas!

Thanks for all your visits to my blog. I read every one of your comments!

Guy said...

Hi Sandy

Thank you very much.

Guy

Guy said...

Hi Kathie

Thanks, I always enjoy my visits to your blog.

All the best.

Guy