Saturday, May 30, 2020

Little Libraries, you can call me archy

Our neighbourhood is full of Little Libraries. There is now one that contains food. Most still have books, often a pretty mixed bag as you might expect. Last week I got very lucky. I have loved Golden Nature Guides since I received Mammals as a child. Golden Guides and the How and Why books were my introduction to science a love that has never left me. I have always wanted to read about Archy & Mehitabel and I love the graphics on the Faber editions.


This morning I took four poetry books to the backyard. I randomly opened one and found this quote in the first poem I read, Adrienne Rich's Open-Air Museum. Funny where you end up.

"seen from the train, stopped
as by design, to bring us
face to face with the flag of our true country:
violet-yellow, black-violet,
its heart sucked by slow fire
O my America
this then was your desire?"

No comments: