Tuesday, October 18, 2011

When we returned from Washington DC we knew
we were probably leaving blooming roses and trickling
fountains, so this was no surprise.



However it did rain the last two days in DC and
the tamaracks have never looked lovelier.





"Why should you think that beauty lies
Only under distant skies:
When maples softly sway and bend
And robins greet you as a  friend,
Why should you long for palms, or sigh
To see strange rivers slipping by:
You, for whom meadow brooks run clear,
And little paths are known and dear?

Why should you think the moon may be
More golden over some far sea:
And where will you find hills to roam
As lovely as the hills of home?
What can earth give you, near or far,
But wind and sea and dawn and star;
With all of these beside your door
Why should you cross the world for more?"

                                          For Beauty Near
                                              Floris Clark McLean



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Our tamaracks are the same!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Guy said...

Hi Gary

Yes it seems that it is a good year for fall colour I was really happy to see we still had leaves when we got home. And no snow.

All the best.
Guy

Kathie Brown said...

I have never read that poem. It is lovely. Love the tamaracks. haven't seen any in a long time. I guess it's time for a trip to Maine!

Guy said...

Hi Kathie

The poetry book it came from was published in 1937 I do enjoy reading some of the older Canadian poets. I am glad you liked the post.

Guy

Michelle said...

I have recently been reminded of a book of poetry I had borrowed from the school library many years ago. For Beauty Near was one of my favourites and I had written it down in a little book along with a few others, but I hadn't written the author's name. I decided to do a little searching and that led me here. At least now I know who wrote it. I believe the book was called Frozen Fire.

Guy said...

Sorry to the so long to reply. I believe you are correct I have a citation here although the first name is different. https://cwrc.ca/islandora/object/ceww%3A5d1813ce-ad3d-4148-bf6c-e8e6376320f3 believe I have the book but it is at home and I am at the cabin.

All the best
Guy