Sunday, May 31, 2020

Roses

 
"The little blessed Earth that turns
Does so on its own concerns
As though it weren't my home at all;
It turns me winter, summer, fall
Without a thought of me."

from O Earth, Turn! by George Johnston


This year we are working on our neglected landscaping at the house. We have already planted annuals in the pots. I noticed I had largely picked the old standards, pansies, marigolds, zinnias, petunias this year. I also decided to refresh the rose beds. In Windsor, which was called the City of Roses when I was young, my father grew roses. I remember hybrid teas like Peace and Chrysler Imperial. Our climate here is a bit to harsh for them so I have planted Explorer, Parkland and Canadian Artist series roses.

This year I was able to get the rose named for Canadian Artist Bill Reid. I bought two, my father loved yellow roses, this may be peach but it is close. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/we-re-still-the-city-of-roses-sort-of-1.998760

The gang waiting to be planted.


No comments: