Sunday, August 18, 2019

Turkey Vulture over the hayfield.

 Today was incredibly windy. Helen and her mom were off the town so they dropped me at the gate and I walked thru the hayfield to the cabin. This vulture was obviously enjoying the updrafts. It is always interesting to me that their flight feathers appear grey/white in the correct light. I have yet to capture a great photo of these magnificant birds, but I am, always happy to see them. It also means I can quote one of my favourite poems.
Both quotes are from Under the Vulture Tree by David Bottoms.



"We have all seen them circling pastures,
have looked up from the mouth of a barn, a pine clearing,   
the fences of our own backyards, and have stood   
amazed by the one slow wing beat, the endless dihedral drift."


"calling them what I'd never called them, what they are,
those dwarfed transfiguring angels,
who flock to the side of the poisoned fox, the mud turtle
crushed on the shoulder of the road,
who pray over the leaf-graves of the anonymous lost,
with mercy enough to consume us all and give us wings."

No comments: