Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Funnel-web Spiders

We arrived home last week. On the way we stayed overnight in a hotel in Kindersley. In the morning we walked the dogs down a dirt lane behind the hotel. The spider webs were obvious in the early light, but it was Helen who noticed each web had central pit. When I went back to take photos I found 5 or 6 webs within a small area. While I saw some movement I did not try to tease any of the spiders out. Once we were home I learned these were a type of Funnel-web spider often called hobo or grass spiders but I do not know the actual species, I have always been interested insects and want to do more micro-photography. I will make it a priority  next year at the cabin. Just before we left the cabin I noticed a number of different spiders dropping from the bark we collected for the fires which really intrigued me so I would like to try to indentify them next year. 


As I edited the photos I began to see the beauty in the compositions themselves, This in turn has led me to manipulate the images a bit more. The central eye with its network of webs and the bright colours of the mini forests seen from above, reminded me of other natural images science exposes us to. Images of the brain, aerial shots of hurricanes, the clouds of cosmic dust that swirl out among the galaxies. 

My favourite photographer Eliot Porter created a book of photos based on natural patterns, Nature's Chaos, Eliot Porter - James Gleick, and this is something I would love to emulate in future photos.




"The Spider as an Artist
Has never been employed --
Though his surpassing Merit
Is freely certified
By every Broom and Bridget
Throughout a Christian Land --
Neglected Son of Genius
I take thee by the Hand --"

Emily Dickinson







No comments: