Thursday, July 25, 2019

Red-Necked Grebe on nest, early summer.


"And how many hours have I spent in watching the reflections on the water? When the air is still, then so is the surface of the river. Then it holds a perfectly silent image of the world that seems not to exist in this world. Where, I have asked myself, is this reflection? It is not on the top of the water, for if there is a little current the river can slide frictionlessly and freely beneath the reflection and the reflection does not move. Nor can you think of it as resting on the bottom of the air. The reflection itself seems a plane of no substance, neither water nor air. It rests, I think, upon quietness. Things may rise from the water or fall from the air, and, without touching the reflection, break it. It disappears. Without going anywhere, it disappears."

from Jayber Crow: A Novel

by Wendell Berry

2 comments:

kerrdelune said...

Possibly, my favorite book in the whole wide world. Thank you!

Guy said...

Sorry I did not see your comment earlier, it is certainly one of mine as well.

Guy