Saturday, April 27, 2013


Lost Lagoon
 
 It is dusk on the Lost Lagoon,
And we two dreaming the dusk away,
Beneath the drift of a twilight grey,
Beneath the drowse of an ending day,
And the curve of a golden moon.

It is dark in the Lost Lagoon,
And gone are the depths of haunting blue,
The grouping gulls, and the old canoe,
The singing firs, and the dusk and--you,
And gone is the golden moon.

O! lure of the Lost Lagoon,--
I dream to-night that my paddle blurs
The purple shade where the seaweed stirs,
I hear the call of the singing firs
In the hush of the golden moon.
 
 Emily Pauline Johnson
 
One must see for me is Lost Lagoon an artificial
pond near the entrance to Stanley Park. It is a
good place to see ducks and of course the
famous Mute Swans. I once heard a park
ground keeper interviewed on radio, who said when
he was told the swans were killing Canadian Geese
he replied yes isn't it great, not apparently
a popular answer, however they were peaceful while
I was there and there were no nesting geese there.
It is a great place for herons.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
"I have looked upon those brilliant creatures,
And now my heart is sore.
All's changed since I, hearing at twilight,
The first time on this shore,
The bell-beat of their wings above my head,
Trod with a lighter tread.


Unwearied still, lover by lover,
They paddle in the cold
Companionable streams or climb the air;
Their hearts have not grown old;
Passion or conquest, wander where they will,
Attend upon them still.


But now they drift on the still water,
Mysterious, beautiful;
Among what rushes will they build,
By what lake's edge or pool
Delight men's eyes when I awake some day
To find they have flown away?
 
from The Wild Swans of Coole
        W.B. Yeats

4 comments:

kerrdelune said...

I absolutely adore these bird images - they are magnificent!

Guy said...

Hi Cate
Thank you I was lucky to see so many birds at the lagoon it was a great chance to take photos close up.

Guy

Kathie Brown said...

How lovely! Wonderful bird images here! I like the swans, the great blue heron, and the goldeneye!

Guy said...

Hi Kathie

They were some beautiful birds there that day.

Regards
Guy