Sunday, April 14, 2013


“How inappropriate to call this planet
"Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.”
                             Arthur C Clarke

 And when the rain stops the waves begin,
I guess this is caused by shifting fronts.











Not sure what happens if he meets these logs
but a number of people were doing this.
I will never be one of them.








“The three great elemental sounds in nature
are the sound of rain, the sound of wind in
a primeval wood, and the sound of outer
ocean on a beach. I have heard them all,
and of the three elemental voices, that of
ocean is the most awesome, beautiful and varied.” 
                          from The Outermost House
                                         Henry Beston



5 comments:

WildBill said...

Some nice photos here. Where are these taken? Yes, strange that we call the planet Earth (from the ancient Anglo Saxon erde-meaning soil). Had our species been swimming instead of walking I'm sure the derivation of the name would have been different.

Guy said...

Hi Bill

I am still posting shots from our mini vacation in Vancouver so these were taken in the English Bay
area in March. It is just as well we took the trip it is still snowing here. As for your comments on water I really enjoyed Elaine Morgan's book The Descent of Woman which theorized that we went thru an aquatic ape phase in our evolution, I read it while studying anthropology many moons ago.

All the best
Guy

WildBill said...

I am familiar with the aquatic ape phase theory. I've never been able to get it in the right position in my mind. Seems as if there are too many missing pieces to make it work. Still, illicits wonderful images.

Kathie Brown said...

I have heard these voices as well and love them all! I think I like the sound of wind in the trees the best! what glorious photos! I love the one with the snowy mountains beyond the water.

Guy said...

Hi Kathie

That is one one of the real joys of the city that you the park and the ocean with a beautiful backdrop of the coastal ranges.

Regards
Guy