Saturday, November 5, 2011

Friday we had our first snow. It did not amount to much.
Nothing like the snowstorms down East. When I
crossed the parking lot for coffee the usual gang
was there.

It might be my recent exposure to all the paintings in DC
but I saw our White-tailed Jackrabbits as characters in
paintings. These two shots made me think of Japanese
nature paintings of the EDO period.





I am sure this one knew Albrecht Dürer.


Our Mountain Ash are stubbornly holding on to their leaves.
They provide a really beautiful shot of colour for the city.


The snow has stopped and the sky is blue.


" God how we doubt the flames of our beauty!
now grow in the burning and demanding city
seeds of our excellence, reasons for phoenixes,
rake ash from our bodies for a new anatomy!"

                                           Magic Animals
                                                 Gwendolyn MacEwen
                                              

11 comments:

Julie G. said...

The first two Jackrabbit photographs really do look like they are subjects in Japanese nature paintings. Quite lovely! Absolutely stunning snowy images.
Brr! Thank you for sharing such beauty.

Also, an appreciative thank you for the kind remarks you left on my recent blog post.

Guy said...

Hi Julie

Thanks for stopping by I really appreciate your comments. And I always enjoy your blog, the bird photos you just posted were stunning.

Regards
Guy

Kathie Brown said...

Love the rabbits! Are they snowshoe hares? And the poem at the end just speaks to my heart right now. Thanks for this.

Guy said...

Hi Kathie

No these are White-Tailed Jackrabbits they turn white in the winter as well and are much larger than the Showshoe Hares we have on the farm in Saskatchewan.

I am glad you liked the poem.

All the best.
Guy

Otto von Münchow said...

Great photographs!

Guy said...

Thanks Otto

I stopped by your blog briefly and I was really impressed with it. I will have to devote some more time to it as there was lots to read and see. I know there will be some valuable tips for me.

Regards
Guy

Lené Gary said...

Hi Guy,

This is one of my favorite series of images and words. I especially like the second photograph of the rabbits.

I think you've had more snow than we have in Montpelier. Wishing you a warm and cozy November. :)

Cheers,
Lené

Guy said...

Hi Lené

I have to admit that the day after this photo our snow was melting. At present it is hovering around zero and I could work outside in a sweatshirt. Everything is brown once again.

I am quite happy you liked the photo of the jackrabbits. All the best for Nov. you have had such extreme weather I hope you have a nice long indian summer to enjoy.

Regards
Guy

Kathie Brown said...

Wow, larger than snowshoe hares? Oh My! We had jack rabbits in AZ that looked almost big enough to saddle and ride! Nothing that big here in New England though.

Guy said...

Hi Kathie

I suspect the Jack Rabbits in AZ were similar to ours they can get
pretty large.

Regards
Guy

Guy said...

Hi Kathie

I suspect the Jack Rabbits in AZ were similar to ours they can get
pretty large.

Regards
Guy