Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I found this beetle last week in the parking lot
at work. I am always surprised to find aquatic
beetles in areas some distance from water. Twice
I have found Giant Water Bugs, a creature I first
encountered in the pages of Annie Dillard's
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek a couple of blocks from
my office. I assume they mistake the dark asphalt
for water. This was considerably smaller than the
Giant Water Bug Lethocerus americanus.

I have identified it as a Mid-Sized Diving Beetle
Colymbetes sculptilis

If I am mistaken please let me know.






" Our life is a faint tracing on the surface of mystery,
like the idle, curved tunnels of leaf miners on the face
of a leaf. We must somehow take a wider view,
look at the whole landscape, really see it... "

 Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
                         Annie Dillard

No comments: