Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Some birds on the farm.
Feel free to correct my id's.

There were a number of other birds
bald eagles, lots of juncos, flocks
of robins and magpies.



Song Sparrow


Purple Finch



This guy peewee'd every morning.
Western Wood Pewee



The only warblers I found
were flocks of Yellow Rumped Warblers.


    I thought this was a Sharp-Shinned Hawk


Not a great photo of a Turkey Vulture
but I thought the light created
an interesting shot.


And I can quote one of my favorite poems

"calling them what I'd never called them, what they are,
those dwarfed transfiguring angels,
who flock to the side of the poisoned fox, the mud turtle
crushed on the shoulder of the road,
who pray over the leaf-graves of the anonymous lost,
with mercy enough to consume us all and give us wings. "

                                            Under the Vulture-Tree
                                                David Bottoms

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Not just Yellow-rumped Warblers!! Great to see so many varieties!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Guy said...

Hi Gary

Thank you, I appreciate you stopping by.
Hi to Boomer.

Guy

Roy said...

Fabulous shot of the Song Sparrow Guy.

Anonymous said...

Wow, lots of good shots. I really like the finch in what I think might be willows??

Guy said...

Hi Roy

Thanks for your comment.

Guy

Guy said...

Hi Sandy That looks to be a Quaking Aspen. There is not much variety on the farm there is some willow, but it is probably 96% aspen/poplar 2% spruce and misc. I always find it interesting that a single aspen grove is actually made up of clones. My Sibley Guide to Trees claims one grove in Utah could be 80,000 years old. Pretty impressive for what is not a terribly attractive tree. They are pretty in the fall.

Regards
Guy