Monday, December 14, 2020

The Christmas Maximalists Yule Tide

 


"Oddly enough, they often grow ten times the size of everyone else," said Alec thoughtfully, "and I've heard that they walk among the stars." 

The Phantom Tollbooth, Juster

Helen placed me on Instagram a month or so ago. It was fun to choose the topics I would follow, macro photography especially insects and nature seemed obvious, travel - nordic countries, London, Venice, New York and Japan, the Barbican and brutalist architecture (lots from the USSR) and mudlarking. We have started watching mudlarking on youtube as well. it has been relaxing and I look forward to seeing the photos even if it is a time sink. 

Instagram allows me to see the photos of people who share my interests.  In this turbulent time, I like to see the beauty that other people have discovered, the things they choose to seek out, surround themselves with. The things they treasure.  I avoid text-heavy posts with a few exceptions preferring to experience these things visually. It's seeing the world through someone else's eyes. One of the most important things for me when I travel is having someone to share the experience with. Sharing experiences not only enhances the experience at the time but creates a long term bond. You can see the same bond when family members share memories and relive experiences. 

Helen has also found a series of videos of walks that people film with GO-Pros.  There is no narration; people just film what they see as they walk. We have been able to see lots of gardens in Japan as well as the Christmas decorations in London and Red Square. It seems this is the closest we will get to travel at present, and I enjoy the unscripted nature of the videos. 

guytrott60



No comments: