Monday, August 31, 2020

First I selected the Pound from a Free Library while on a walk with the dogs. Then as we passed again I went beck for the Homer.


"For he has only just got back from abroad, and from a region so remote that one might well give up all hope of return once the winds had blown one astray into the wise expanse of sea, which is so vast and perilous that even the birds cannot make their passage in the year."

from Telemachus with Nestor

I often pick  up different editions of titles I already own,  especially if they are older editions by well known publishers. I enjoy reading different introductions and or notes for the same works. I also enjoy the sense of engagement with the past. The name in the top right corner indicates they came from the same person. And that person seems to have keep them for some time. Sadly there are no annotations. 

"All night, and as the wind lieth among
The cypress trees, he lay,"

from Speech for Psyche in the Golden Book of Apuleius

We looked for Pound's grave when we visited Cemetery Island in Venice. But it was a crowded graveyard and we settled for the grave of Igor Stravinsky.

"I had not thought death had undone so many." T.S. Eliot

No comments: