Sunday, February 8, 2015




"His beak could open a bottle,
and his eyes - when he lifts their soft lids -
go on reading something
just beyond your shoulder -
Blake, maybe,
or the Book of Revelation.

Never mind that he eats only
the black-smocked crickets,
and the dragonflies if they happen
to be out late over the ponds, and of course
the occasional festal mouse.
Never mind that he is only a memo
from the offices of fear -"


from The Little Owl Who Lives in the Orchard
Mary Oliver




Not so little Great Horned Owl
Hand Hills Alberta Oct 2014

"Where it not for the way you taught me to look
at the world, to see the life at play in everything, 
I would have to be lonely forever.”

from Lights on a Ground of Darkness
Ted Kooser

Thanks Tim

1 comment:

Kathie Brown said...

How nice to see the owl. I am getting Barred owls in my yard, but no Great Horned owls yet.

Thanks for all your comments on my blog. I do not know if you saw the post farther down where our little dog passed away. I know you are fond of dogs. It has been sad around here, especially for my husband, who loved her dearly. I know that you will understand. I hope all your little dogs are well. They are such good companions and friends.