Sunday, November 2, 2014


When I hear them call
in the morning, before
I am quite awake,
my bed is already traveling
the daily rainbow,
the arc toward evening;
and the birds, leading
their own discreet lives
of hunger and watchfulness,
are with me all the way,
always a little ahead of me
in the long-practiced manner
of unobtrusive guides.


from Why I Need Birds
 by Lisel Mueller
        

      

Enchanted is what they were
in the old stories, or if not that,
they were guides and rescuers of the lost,
the lonely, needy young men and women
in the forest we call the world.
That was back in a time
when we all had a common language.    

from   Animals Are Entering Our Lives
 by Lisel Mueller

2 comments:

Kathie Brown said...

Are you missing summer already? This post seems sad and filled with longing!

Guy said...

Hi Kathie

I have so many photos to go thru I will have summer until next spring at this rate.

Guy