Wednesday, June 25, 2014





"Midway upon the journey of our life
I found myself within a forest dark,
For the straightforward pathway had been lost.

 Ah me! how hard a thing it is to say
What was this forest savage, rough, and stern,
Which in the very thought renews the fear.
So bitter is it, death is little more;
But of the good to treat, which there I found,
Speak will I of the other things I saw there.

I cannot well repeat how there I entered,
So full was I of slumber at the moment
In which I had abandoned the true way."

                                from  Inferno Canto 1
                                      Dante, Longfellow's Tran.

Some dour quotes hopefully the birds
will brighten this up.

We had a couple of rarer visitors to the
cabin this year and although the photos
were not great I thought I would post them.




We had lots of White Crowned Sparrows and
the Phoebes are always around keeping an
eye on things. 




" Old age is always wakeful; as if, the longer
linked with life, the less man has to do with
aught that looks like death. Among sea-commanders,
the old greybeards will oftenest leave their berths to
visit the night-cloaked deck."


                                                             from Moby Dick
                                                                  Herman Melville

Back at the farm this pine has been dying by
inches for years but it is such a popular roost
it has not been removed.




“Were this world an endless plain, and by sailing eastward
we could for ever reach new distances, and discover sights
more sweet and strange than any Cyclades or Islands of King
Solomon, then there were promise in the voyage. But in pursuit
of those far mysteries we dream of, or in tormented chase of the
demon phantom that, some time or other, swims before all human
hearts; while chasing such over this round globe, they either lead us
 on in barren mazes or midway leave us whelmed.”

                                                                  from Moby Dick
                                                                           Herman Melville

1 comment:

Celeste said...

What a wonderful palette of birds you have around you Guy, so colourful.