Saturday, October 27, 2012

 

"Earth take away
Make away sorrow,
Bury the lark's bones
Under the turf.
Bury my grief.

Black crow tear away
Rend away sorrow,
Talon and beak
Pluck out the heart
And the nerves of pain,
Tear away grief."

from Spell Against Sorrow
      Kathleen Raine

 
A house with Helen and I, two dogs and a cat
still seems empty.
 

It is a wintry day in Calgary and in
a peaceful albeit snowy backyard
Shaun is enjoying a quiet moment.
 

Did someone say " Release the Kraken "
 
 
 
The Clash of the Titans begins
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And ends, with no one actually bitten
 
 
"I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light."

 
The Peace of Wild Things
Wendell Berry

 

8 comments:

Jan Roseneder said...

Maybe they're just too exhausted to play"

Guy said...

Hi Jan

I am pretty sure Whateley's energy is boundless, Shaun not so much.

Regards
Guy

Banjo52 said...

Don't you wonder how much of all combat is noise and theater, both parties maybe just wanting to be left alone to snooze or sniff?

Roy said...

I'm glad those two dogs are friends Guy.{:))

Guy said...

Hi BANJO52

This is a serious conflict of ideology. The young dog's idea is that you should run around like a lunatic and the old dog's idea that a quiet pee should be followed by a nap. But you correct there was more shedding than shredding in this battle.

Guy

Guy said...

Hi Roy

Their friendship is a work in progress Wendolene's passing, since she was the dominent dog has created a power vacuum and Whateley's energy level is a bit high for Shaun's liking, but we have seen progress in the last few weeks.

Guy

Kathie Brown said...

Guy, I am so sorry I have been so long away and you have been grieving so! Oh that poem is heart wrenching! And the photos are so cute! I do hope your heart is slowly mending and that you will soon find reasons to smile again.

Guy said...

Hi Kathie

I have to admit the first few weeks were very bleak, and even now I would say I am more resigned to her absence that accustomed to it. But as you can tell we have a new more active pack structure to
get used to with the introduction of some younger blood.

Thanks for you kind thoughts.
Guy