Saturday, January 6, 2018

The Beaver

I first came to Western Canada to participate in an archaeological excavation at a Northwest Company post. I stayed for three months living in a canvas tipi and came to love the parkland. Every summer at the cabin I try to read books (often shared with my mother-in-law) about the fur trade and the Native People of Western Canada both pre and post contact. I am trying to learn a history other than my own, I find it interesting, and it seems the least I can do.


"The slow current
of the life below tugs at me all day.
When I dream at night, they save a place for me,
no matter how small, somewhere by the fire. "

from Remembering Mountain Men
by William Stafford

2 comments:

Kathie Brown said...

Guy, have you read the book, "Forest Lover" about the artist Emily Carr? I loved this book. It opened my eyes to that whole Northwest Tlingit Culture that I knew nothing about, as well as an amazing female artist I had never heard of. I admire your desire to learn more, and I love the quote on this post.

Oh, and on a personal note. After 3 years since our little blossom passed away, we finally got another do. Her name is Coda (for the musical term) and she is a blenheim Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She brings much joy to our lives.

Guy said...

Hi Kathie

I have not read the book. I have seen a fair bit of Carr's work. My mother in law is a painter and Helen and I visit galleries whenever we can so art is a big part of our life. I have concentrated my reading on the Plains Indian Culture but we are exposed to a lot of Northwest Coast Native art and culture in Canada and I have always be fascinated by their carving.

I am glad you have another dog now that you are settled. They do keep you hoping and they are wonderful companions for keeping you engaged in what is going on.

Regards
Guy